Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun

Recreational

Do you use your Evinrude engine for waterskiing, pontooning or other recreational boating activities? We've created this space for you! Looking for a new family vacation spot? Stop by. Feel like boasting about your recent waterskiing competition? Let's hear it.

New Recipe from BluewaterBill!

by on ‎08-05-2011 03:51

Blackened Redfish with BluewaterBill

Blackened redfish is one of my favorites, and this blackening recipe works great on Dolphin (Mahi), Grouper, Cod, or any other firm fleshed fish. (Say that fast 10 times)

Paul Prudomme's Redfish Magic is the best blackening seasoning that I've found, besides my own homemade concoctions. It has some "bite" to it but does not light up your mouth like many with too much cayenne pepper in them.

Unlike coating the filets and throwing them on a hot cast iron skillet and smoking up the house, try this method using your grill. This works best if the filets are about 1/2 to 3/4" thick.  It is even delicious on shrimp, pan fried, baked, or skewered on a grill, when prepared as follows.

In a skillet melt about 3 tablespoons of butter and when it starts to foam up, add about 1/3 cup of blackening seasoning plus a 1/2 tsp. each of onion powder and garlic powder for extra flavor. Stir constantly and when the first wisps of smoke appear, remove from heat and let it cool down to a warm touch. It will have a granular consistency.

Pat the filets dry with a paper towel and coat them by hand with the warm blackening mixture and set aside for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavors. Place on a hot well-oiled grill for about 2-3 minutes per side depending on thickness. You can also check with a quick reading thermometer in the middle of the filet for about 145°-150°F. Let rest a few moments, then enjoy.

For a tasty remoulade sauce to cool and complement the spicy fish and to also make a great fish sandwich or fish taco spread, mix the following in a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour to meld the flavors.

1/2 cup mayo

1 tbsp. spicy mustard or Dijon

1 tbsp. paprika

1 tbsp. sweet relish

1 tsp. hot sauce or to taste

Juice of 1/2 a lemon

Salt and pepper

1 tsp. Worcestershire

1 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. parsley flakes

Enjoy!

Comments
by JGFLA
on ‎08-06-2011 08:26

Great Recipe!  Just tried this out on a few lbs of grouper and it was delicious.  The remoulade sauce is a nice touch and it also made a great veggie dipping sauce.

by
on ‎08-07-2011 06:49

I don't have all the ingredients ,but i'll try it! sounds yammii...

About the Author
  • Hello, we're a team of Evinrude enthusiasts bringing you stories, videos, and information to add to your life on the water. Through E-NATION, you can chat with fishing pros, get tips on fishing and boating, ask questions in the community forums and learn how to get more out of your boat and engine. Help us to continue to build the community dedicated to water, power, fishing, and fun.