Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

2011 25hp Etec performance

I just got back from my first two weeks on the water with my new ETEC 25, and overall I must say I'm impressed!  Probably put 50-60 hours on it already!

I re-powered the boat, replacing a 2005 Johnson 25hp 2 stroke.  It's hard to believe that both of these motors were rated at the same horsepower!  The ETEC can pull better with 3 people on board (almost 4) than the Johnson did with just myself!

Fuel consumption is also quite remarkable.  It's hard to measure definitely - but I'm guessing at a 40%+ improvement.  Oil consumption is also very low - but I'm using XD100 as it's programmed for, so I guess that's expected.  I can run for several hours on a single tank without worry.  Before I always kept a spare on board.

Cruising at higher speeds, I don't think the noise level is remarkably different than the "old" one, but at low speeds and idle, the difference is night and day.  The bonus of no smoke trails following you (or drifting into the boat at low speeds) is also much appreciated.  Now I notice other older 2 stroke smells much more...

One question I have though - is whether others out there have much experience running these motors.  I find that there is a small band on the throttle (I'd guess between 800-1300RPM) which is just off idle where it seems a little unsure of itself.  You can hear the odd missfire, and it shakes a little under these conditions.  A heavier load seems to aggrivate it more.  At idle it never misses a beat, and it's equally smooth above that.  It's almost like it can't make up its "mind" whether to run stratified like at idle, or "normally".  I'd just like to get some input as to whether it's just typical of the motor's operation, or if there's something unusual with mine.  I haven't bothered the dealer about it yet - I was hoping to get some feedback from others first if possible.

Mine is also a rope start (tiller).  Most times it seems to take two good pulls to get it going - occasionally 1, and rarely 3.  Anyone else find that this is typical?  I guess I was hoping for consistent 1-pull starts with the injection.  With the amount of effort required, at least I don't have to worry about the kids trying to take off with it for a few more years!  It does require a bit of a strong arm - compared to my old 9.9 or a typical lawn mower.  The travel is also quite long - I have to make sure I don't hit anyone on the next seat.  Any other feedback from experiance would be appreciated.

Now I just have to find some excuses to get it back into some water again somewhere!

Thanks in advance for any input!

John

Admiral

Re: 2011 25hp Etec performance

[ Edited ]

We are glad that you like your new Evinrude. It is a great engine.

There is a slight transition range just around 1100 rpm of so where the motor is changing combustion modes from lean-burn idle to regular mode. There are long technical words to describe the process but we won't go into them here. In some applications you may feel a flutter or hear slightly different engine sound. Often different propellers or boat loading can make a change in the feel of the motor. Your dealer can also double check engine adjustments using his diagnostic software and a laptop. It is a normal situation.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I have a 2012 25 E-tec and it does the same thing.It is on a 16 48 war eagle.I took it to the Dealer and they hooked it up to the laptop while running and found no issues. He told me that it was nothing to worry about. I am like you though that little miss feeling of the old type 2 strokes bugs me.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

Actually the carbureted 2-strokes had a "blubber" or rough running range in the same area of about 1200-1800 rpm when the carburetor made the motor run rich as it transitioned from the low speed jets to the high speed jets. Just like with the E-TEC, that rpm range is not one that is used much as a boat is usually not on plane yet and is plowing water.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

About the pull-start, some engines use the first pull as a way to get the engine prepared for the start, and so the second pull is the true starter.

Highlighted
Skipper

We finally decided to sell our 1973 25 Evinrude and buy a new 2012 25 E-TEC even though the old motor was running fine. I was anxious because the E-TEC weighed 60 + pounds more than the old motor. I wrote to Alumacraft and asked if our 1973 V-14 Heavy Duty could handle the additional weight. Alumacraft replied there was no problem as long as the 25 horsepower rating was not exceeded. Ok! Because of the V14's 15" transom we bought the fully manual tiller model (rope start) to keep the weight as low as possible (no battery). Just for piece of mind I added a transom plate on the inside under the hand clamps AND for the first time ever, bolted the engine to the transom! We didn't want to take a chance this 4K purchase didn't decide to go for a swim on us one day. The motor bounced too much while trailering so a "transom-saver" bar was added from lower unit to trailer frame - which eliminated the transom flex while trailering. Nice.

We've taken the boat out almost a dozen times and are impressed every time. The economy is outstanding both in fuel and oil savings. We'd go through 4-5 gallons of pre-mix with the old motor but use only about 2 gallons of fuel and very little oil all day with the E-TEC. We agree with  j42_snyder in that the noise level at cruise and WOT is just a bit less than the old '73 model but at lower speeds the 2012 model is MUCH quieter. Our speed increased to 32 mph over the old motor's 26 mph which makes sense as the 2102 model is turning a 10.1 X 13 prop compared to the 9 X 9 on the old motor. We usually ran a 9 X 7 when fully loaded with the old motor but find no need to do the same thing on the new one. The huge increase in cubic inch displacement over the old model is where this extra felt torque comes from. Our little boat literally leaps on plane when I grab a handful of throttle - we're on plane in a boat length! Honestly, we did this only a couple times. I mostly just roll on the power gently as I'd prefer the E-TEC to remain in back and not in front of our old boat. (smile)

I've also noted a low speed "miss" around 1100 RPM and agree it seems to be simply a transitional event between stratified and "normal" injection modes. As long as the motor doesn't stop running (never has) I can live with this.

Another thing j42_snyder hit on was the 2-pull start and long travel on the rope starter. The long travel is probably due to the need to spin the flywheel more then one revolution during the start sequence. I read several degrees (> 180) of flywheel rotation is required to initially power the EMM before the EMM can fire the injectors and plugs on the rope start models. Electric start models do not experience this phenomenon because the EMM is powered up when the ignition key is turned on. One thing we've found to help both cold and (especially) warm starts or after the outboard has been tilted out of the water for a length of time is to reprime the fuel system prior to starting the motor. Giving the already full primer ball a good squeeze seems to help us in these situations. I'm guessing that fuel pressure falls off in the fuel system when hot or when tilted.

One last point I'd like to make (if anybody is still reading this) is that we plan on installing a 10 x 12 four-bladed Solas prop the next time we go out to see if makes any difference in performance on our setup. I've heard 4-bladed propellers have a tendency to lift the stern a bit which should help us (hopefully) reduce the need to throw all our junk up in the bow to keep us from porposing. 

Anybody interested should feel free to check back in a week or so for our answer. 

Happy Boating!

Skipper

Installed a 4-blade Solas prop 10X12 and water tested it a few weeks ago. RPM's were still over 5800 and our top speed dropped 1 MPH. So, I ordered the same prop in 10X14 and tested it last weekend. RPM's hit 5450 and speed was 29 MPH. This should be perfect as for this last water test we had along an extra passenger weighing 130 lbs. When we're back to our normal load of just my wife and I we're confident we'll be right were we want to be: 5700 @ 30 MPH. 

A couple things to note here: (1) the 4 Bladed prop is noticeably smoother than our 3 bladed 10X13 prop as felt through the tiller handle so we'll be sticking with 4 blades on this boat. (2) There was no discernable stern lift - we still have to leave the trim pin all the way in for maximum down trim to keep from porposing at WOT. Oh well. 

Overall, with price being equal, we're sticking with 4 bladed props. 

Skipper

When I purchased my 2011 Etec 25HP rope start 15" shaft motor I was optimistic that my 14 & 16 yr. old  daughters would be able to start the engine, I was right they could both start the motor, but unfortunately my wife couldn't get the rope out of the engine cowl.  Having a cottage on an island it was problem that was easily fixed with an electric starter kit (dealer installed). I was hoping to avoid getting a battery since my 14 foot Alumacraft (25HP rated) with the short transom, extra weight of the Etec didn't need the extra weight at the back. I moved the gas tank (extra hose added to the line) and battery (25FT. jumper cable protected by plastic wire wrap) to the bow.  It has worked very well, boat planes quickly, no porpoising (even with the trim adjustment slightly high). We did have a problem with the tiller always loosening (easy to turn) but was able to tighten the nut that controls the tension so that the lever could not loosen. With the stock prop the boat can easily get five adults on plane. We're all happy with the electric start. and I installed navigation lights to take advantage of the battery. More acessories planned for the future.

Admiral

Thanks for sharing. Your experiences could help someone out in the future.