Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2017 etec 25 hp overheating

I purchased my motor February 2017 and for a year have had nothing but problems. Motor overheats and goes into limp mode. The dealer warranted the power head after many failed attempts to fix the problem. The original head gasket failed due to a poorly designed cooling line in the motor causing motor to overheat. After waiting two months for warranty work the second motor started overheating after 25 hours.After another two months of replacing cooling line in second engine, that requires taking the power head off has failed again and motor overheated after 20mins in the water. What is wrong with the 25 hps cooling design. Can I get my money back, I'm not happy and have lost all trust in the motor and want to trade in for something different or receive a refund.
Mate

Re: 2017 etec 25 hp overheating

Serial#05492562
Mod# E25DRGAFC
Admiral

We are sorry to hear about your Evinrude and the experiences that you have experienced. They are not common situations.

The 25 and 30 HP Evinrude E-TEC outboards have been in production for almost 10 years now and do not have a propensity for overheating. There were some early impeller supplier quality issues at first but those were taken care of years ago.

What did the dealer say caused the overheating? Did the impeller appear severely damaged or melted looking? If the wrong impeller was installed,the motor could overheat as the improved impeller generates more water pressure than before and the hevier relief springs in later motors require the correct pump.

Do you flush the engine on a flusher muff without taping up the vent holes underneaht the anti-ventilation plate? Have you started the motor out of water even for an instant? Is the motor the correct length and mounting position on your boat? These are just some of the reasons that could cause a repeat of overheating conditions.

You may contact Evinrude After Sales Support with the engine serial number, dealer name, and a history of your engine servicing. They will look into your claim.

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I've never experienced any situations above. I only run in fresh water in the everglades. I just got back a newly rebuilt motor and it overheated 5 times within an hour.
Admiral

I hope you will be emailing your serial number, dealer name, and situation to the address furnished.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

BLUE WATER BILL 

What is your email. I have my boat at my local dealer since Ive left my first message. Ive contacted BRP customer service and now my dealer is telling they are waiting for a response from BRP. Its been at the dealer for a month. Can I email you my case number and all inforamtion and see if you can give an answer to what is gonig on with my case?

Admiral

Contact them again with your concern

http://www.brp.com/en/forms/contact-us.html

Spoiler

Spoiler