Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Alumacraft Escape 165 power

Hello, I'm looking at buying a side console 165. Wondering what guys are running them with for power. Max hp rating is 50. But some packages come with a 30 Etec, wondering how the performance is? There is quite a weight and cost difference from a 30 to a 40 or 50. Thanks

Admiral

Re: Alumacraft Escape 165 power

The 30 hp is minimum to install and that keeps the price down. If you fish with several people or will use it on a large body of water, the 40 HP Evinrude E-TEC may be the best combination of price and performance. It is almost as fast as the 50 HP and gives much better load carrying performance than a 30 HP.

If possible, see if you can get a test ride in one before you make up your mind.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

i run the 40 etec on my 145 escape.fully loaded i'm hitting right on 30 mph at wot.i think off the top of my head i have the 15 pitch prop. i wouldn't even consider the 30.the 40 puts me right in the sweet spot for what i use the boat for.

Skipper

Thanks guys, I went with the 40.

Admiral

Great choice.

Let us know how it performs for you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Runs great with the 40. 41 km/h at 5000 rpm.

Captain

If 5000 is your maximum rpm reached with the motor trimmed then you have too much pitch in the prop. "Over propping" causes a higher load on the engine, burns more fuel and oil, and can cause spark plug fouling at trolling speeds. It should be able to turn 5500 rpm.
Highlighted
Skipper

OK thanks. It was first time running it and I didn't max it out yet.

Skipper

Just to assure you that the 40 was the right choice......

i have a 16 ft Duranautic side console that weighs in about 125 lbs less than your boat. With the 30 hp at full throttle I hit 25 mph. I wish I had gone with a 40.