Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

How to identify Johnson outboard motor / which has no I.d. Plate or sticker

Hey all!   I have a Johnson 9.9 motor that has no nameplate or sticker . I know its a long shaft, but I need to convert it to an extra long shaft! Ive read previous posts where finding plate under cowling will help I.d.  Here is the info stamped on plate 

G4325587  any help would be appreciated! Not sure how to post pics but do have and will post when I figure out. Thanks

Admiral

Re: How to identify Johnson outboard motor / which has no I.d. Plate or sticker

An extra long shaft is for a 25" transom, a long shaft is for a 20" transom. Back when the motor was manufactured they made a sailboat version with an extra long shaft but normally it was only available in short and long shaft versions.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

[ Edited ]

1997 Johnson model J15ELEU

It is a 20" long shaft model

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Admiral

@Riverturd wrote:

Hey all!   I have a Johnson 9.9 motor that has no nameplate or sticker . I know its a long shaft, but I need to convert it to an extra long shaft! Ive read previous posts where finding plate under cowling will help I.d.  Here is the info stamped on plate 

G4325587  any help would be appreciated! Not sure how to post pics but do have and will post when I figure out. Thanks

1997 Johnson model J15ELEU

Mate

Hey bluewaterbill! Thanks for the quick response on motor I.d.  Now that I know the model and year I’m still looking to lengthen the shaft. My transom has a cutout in center where 40hp sits. My kicker sits up higher about 5” therefor prop cavatates at higher speeds, transom is shaped like a u I’d say. Ive tried jack plates pain in the a—! Any help or guidance is appreciated! And a happy and safe 4th to all!

Admiral

To make it longer you would have to find the SEL model of the 9.9 HP and use those parts to convert yours. The SEL is the sailboat version of your motor.  You may have to do some looking around to find them. Perhaps you could find one with a bad powerhead and swap yours over to it.

Here are some dealers that are known for having hard to find parts.

Barnacle Bills Marine Supply
4584 Rt 47
Delmont, NJ 08314
Phone: (856) 785-9455

Sea-Way Marine
2501 Harbor Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98126
(206) 937-7373

Stone and Sons Marine
3410 Oak Forest, Houston, TX
(713) 686-3011

Mate

Thanks again Bluewaterbill! I will check out those leads and see what I can come up with. Thanks again for all ur help!

Highlighted
Captain

Another option is to use a sailboat kicker bracket which uses a lever to raise and lower the engine.