Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2015 150HO/ Smoker craft Millentia 172.

2014 rating was 150. They down rated to 140 for 2015 due to compaints of porpoising at higher speeds under certain conditions. Because my dealer sold this not knowing of the downgrade in hp. The factory is actually going to out a 150 rating on my boat. This should make it rare and one of a kind eh?? Lol.
Highlighted
Mate

That boat should have a 135 HO, max.  No?

Yes, you are one of a kind! gg

Highlighted
Admiral

Hi,

This is the third posting that you have entered on E-NATION and all 3 are in different sections which can make things confusing. Can you move this post to your original question located in the EVINRUDE NEWS section, then remove this one?

Thank you.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Bill, we moved this post so that it would fit under REVIEWS. Evinrude News is for any new updates with Evinrude. Thanks!

Through E-NATION, you can chat with fishing pros, get tips on fishing and boating, ask questions in the community forums and learn how to get more out of your boat and engine.

Help us to continue to build the community dedicated to water, power, fishing, and fun.
Highlighted
Captain

Apparently this post is on the move! I have a smokercraft 172xl with a 150 on it. I can run in the low 50 's but I have to say it is something I rarely do because it can feel a little scary. I also insisted on the 150 though my boat was rated to handle that much hp. With my experience you will need the tabs. I also ended up loading my rod locker in the bow with about 100 lbs of weight to improve the ride since I do a lot of fishing by myself. It was a bear getting this little boat to handle all that power and takes a lot of drive time getting a feel for the trim to quickly find all the sweet spots at different speeds and driving conditions. If I had it to do over again the only thing I'd do differently is insist on hydraulic steering which i may do after the purchase here soon. The 150 is awesome. There is NEVER a lack of power believe me. It shoots up out of the water like a rocket and most importantly to me cruises at 40-45 with ease. Also because i don't need to be wide open all the time this monster motor uses so little gas you'll wonder if your gage is working. 10 gallons will usually get me out for a full day tearing up the lake looking for bass. Post back with your experience if you could...I'm curious how your setup will handle or if my issues were specific to my boat!

Highlighted
Captain

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate your first hand experience! A little ballast weigh in the front is a good idea along with a full livewell up front. What prop works best for you?
I will report back in a couple of weeks once the boat is delivered.
Highlighted
Captain

My dealer installed a viper 14-3/4 X 19 on my boat. It may be a little too much for my setup though. My rpms at full throttle are only about 5200. I asked around in the beginning but didn't get any advice that was concrete enough to make a change. I was told that raising the engine a couple holes might give me some better rpms and calm the ride. It seems to me that not many people really power up these smaller boats so there just isn't a lot of good advice to find. If I had a 90hp on there I doubt I'd be going fast enough to really be concerned with performance. Oh...and I tried the live well on my boat and it was a rough day...Most of the water just sloshed out! We may have different bow configurations though. And the "trim tabs" as the call them are just a couple six or seven inch long pieces of painted 1-1/2 aluminum angle. Cheap but they do the job.
Highlighted
Admiral

wmfratus,

I think you may find that the 17" Viper or possibly the 16" is a much better performing propeller for your rig than the 19" one. Your engine should be turning in the 5500 to 5800 range for optimum results in performance and economy. Finding the correct prop is often trial and error.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Ya I'm finding limited info on propping, as you said not a lot of folks are putting that much power on these boats.
My bow has the rod storage in the centre, small livewell on left side.
What hole is your motor set at now?
Highlighted
Captain

Will a 16"-17" give me the top end that I am after? If I'm not mistaken this will give bottom end but take away speed?