Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Repower on 2900 Hydra Sport 2006 , Twin 300 Etec G2

Well I'm pretty happy with how quiet the G2 are and the response is amazing . The motor came with 22 by 15 prop as little big for th his boat . Very happy, went though hell and back to get here.
Admiral

Re: Repower on 2900 Hydra Sport 2006 , Twin 300 Etec G2

What is your top rpm and speed with a normal load of people and fuel ?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

5100 ish but had not trim tabs
Skipper

Plus was empty and it was not the best weather to say in it .
Admiral

Reaching only 5100 rpm with a fairly empty boat is severely overpropped and lugging the engine. Because it is below the factory recommended top rpm, that could be construed as abuse and could affect warranty coverage at some point. Not only that but the motor is trying to protect itself by consuming more fuel and oil to help save the pistons from detonation damage, which is costing you more money.

On a heavy boat like your 2900, it is best to prop close to the maximum hp range of 5800 with a light load. That gives you enough "oomph" in a following sea plus enough of an rpm cushion in warm weather with a heavier load aboard.

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

I just ran it for few min to do sea trial make sure the motors ran . Very inpressed with the new motors . This was a repower . I had 225 g1 on it for last 5 Years . I m very aware being retire Coast Guard Engineer 22 years . Thank you
Admiral

Write back when you have tested some props and experimented with engine height mounting and give us a speed and fuel consumption report on cruising and WOT. Were the motors mounted in the same holes as the previous ones or were they raised up higher?

Skipper

Once I have right props I will . I had a little run in with a dock cleat bare footed near cut my toe off . Lost two weeks because didnt want to get infected. Will say at 27nkts 4200 Rpm was showing 3 MPG . Impressive
Skipper

Good morning ,  Merry christmas and happy new year. Well it s been along year without my boat both motors had the same problem.   Evinrude was great replacing both blocks. I m still tring figure out what props.  Alantic outboards Westbrook Ct in 2015 did a repower on this same boat 2900 Hydra sport  with twin 300 G2 . They used RX4 4blade ss 15 by 20. which they got 5700 rpm W/O . What is the proper rpm range on the G2 . Since its been few years and there been more testing done since then, is this best props and size to go with. Thanks Captain Dan Nawracaj                

Skipper

I also have a twin 2017 G2 300 on 2008 Hydra-Sports and it’s at the dealer with a blown power head. I can’t win with these things. I’d like know what you end up with for a prop pitch.