Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Re: Repowered Boston Whaler with 2018 G2 225 H.O. Performance Report

Update: End of 2018 boating season. We had a great season Whalering with the G2. She never missed a beat. We spent about 16 hours in salt water, the rest (51hrs total) in fresh NY lakes and the brackish Hudson River. She was kept on the trailer between day trips. We did not have any overnights on the islands this year.

Data: Averaged 4.4 gal/hr total for the season

Avg speed 16 mph - typical cruise 3300 to 3900rpm

I will be uploading pics and reviewing my winterization experience soon.  I did have some issues during winterizing, but I may post those in a different section.

Admiral

Thank you for sharing.

Click on the HELP in the upper right corner of the page for assistance in posting images on this site

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

I too updated my 21ft Boston Whaler with a 2018 200 HP G@ small block [2.7L]..

I also added a Evinrude 15HP G2 Etec kicker motor to my transom.  It is heavier than my other one.

The previous motor was a Mercury 225HP 2 stroke Optimax with 650 hours. The Mercury ran fine, but it smoked like a chimney and used A LOT of 2 cycle oil! I used a Yamaha 9.9HP kicker for trolling.

I used the Yamaha kicker a lot and wore out the lower end bearings! I got about 6 MPH tops, that is par for the boats hull speed.

The new kicker motor is great, I get about 6.5 MPH top speed with it.

Both motors start instantly.

My setup weighs in around 3600 lbs with 100 gallons of fuel and two people on board.

Top speed is about 45 MPH, was 48 MPH with the 225 HP Mercury..

I have no desire to go much above 40 MPH on Lake Erie.

Best fuel consumption is around 4000 RPM at ~4.2 MPG.

I leave my trim on auto. I will put it in manual to see if I can get even better mileage.

On oil consumption, I drove the boat a couple times a week all summer. Maybe 60 hours total?  I used about 3 gallons of oil total.

The oil is expensive, as  XD100 runs about 45 dollars a gallon. But, as mentioned, I used little. You can buy the oil online or at your Evinrude dealer., similar price. shipping is not free, but no tax. It balances out.

You must use this synthetic oil. Cheaper oil may work in a pinch, but the motor is calibrated for this oil.

The boat gets on plane very quickly, even loaded with four people and gear, fuel.

I use the kicker motor a lot, it is very quite. It sips fuel.

So far, no problems with the setup.I also got all new guages, One larger one is LCD digital, the others digital/analog. The motors and the controls, and guages use the Canbus System.

I did the winterization myself. I pushed each throttle max. forward, clicked the ignition three times, then put it in neutral, started it, then with it running I clicked the ignition key three times again. This fogged the motor. Both of them were done individually { the 15 HP Etec also}.

Both motors are much quieter, do not smoke at all. And  much more fuel efficient,

The Optimax got about 2 MPG tops. It used a gallon of oil per hour.

The Yamaha kicker worked just fine but had a 20in shaft, and had not power tilt.

The Evinrude 15HP Etec G2 has a 25 inch shart and has power tilt. I put a separate side mount binnacle for the kicker motor. This works just fine for my needs.

Both motors have separate main fuel tank taps.

I use the two battery setup, with a battery switch.

The main motor charges both batteries simultaneously.

Captain

Sun, the auto trim can be overridden any time by using the manual trim switch so you do not have to switch it to manual to try for a better trim. Once you come back to idle and trim fully down the auto trim will be re enabled.
The G2 engines are not specifically calibrated for XD-100, they can run XD-50, but the fully synthetic XD-100 is preferred.
Highlighted
Admiral

X2  for what Rick said.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.