Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

new 175hp - oil usage and trim setting

hey all:

new 175hp E-tec owner.

after much research and talking with the manager at the marina - decided to try the Evinrude.

had a Suzuki 140hp for 8 years previous

I was not able to test an E-tec prior to purchase on the boat I wanted so this was a leap of faith

the boat is a 24' tri-toon pontoon. - brand new

used the motor this past weekend for the first time

here's the results

I was impressed at the power and the quietness of the E-tec, that's for sure. 

however, it did seem to go thru the gas pretty well.

a couple of issues

first was figuring out the trim

it was just the mrs. and me on the boat, by the way

when we were stopped - I looked at the motor while standing on the ladder

I adjusted the trim with the button on the side of the motor and asked my wife what the trim gauge read.

it seems that at the lowest trim gauge setting - the prop is actually facing down somewhat - the motor is past vertical

you have to trim to about 1/2 to get the engine to what looks to be vertical

I can't really look at it while driving it but it seems that I can trim the motor beyond what the gauge will read while running at near top speed.

I thought I should be able to hit 40mph but I could only get about 35mph at around 5k rpm's.

that's within the range (listed as 4850-5850)

so I start the boat from stop with the trim set to just under 1/2 and then take the throttle up to 3500

I take the trim up to 3/4 or better and listen for what I call the "jet" sound of the engine to where I think it's at the right spot.

at this point we're cruising at about 25mph

If I take it up to 4500 or so - it'll go about 35mph and I can take the trim beyond what the gauge will read.

but sometimes I can't get that certain sound I'm looking for

another thing I try to do is to adjust the trim and watch the mph gauge.

take the trim down - say to the 1/2 mark and the speed drops and then up past where the trim even can read and sound is sort of "whooshy" - if that makes any sense.  Let's say I don't think it's the sound I should be hearing.

when we were getting gas I asked the marina manager to go for a ride to show him but he was busy

maybe another time

He said to trim up a lot

the only thing I know about the prop is that it says Viper on it.  maybe the 14 3/4 x 17"

after 5 hours of boating, maybe, over the course of 3 days - the oil tank was down 1/2 way.  seems like a lot.

Thanks

Admiral

Re: new 175hp - oil usage and trim setting

Hi and welcome to the E-NATION Evinrude community.

You asked a lot of questions and that is good and we'll try to help out as much as possible.

Your dealer should be the one to instruct you on the operation and the running characteristics of your new motor as he is your first line of communication. Also the owners manual you received should be studied which illustrates the engine's  features and operation.  Talk to your dealer to schedule an appointment with you for some instruction and demonstration of how to run and trim the boat.

It is normal for the motor to less than vertical at the bottom of the trim range, that is called being "tucked in" or negative trim. It helps getting heavy boats up on plane quickly. The trim gauges are not labratory grade instruments so they should be used as a guide. The trim sending unit is easily adjustable by your dealer to read correctly in  the engine trim range.  Trim will vary with the load and the placement of people on board. As a rule of thumb, when you near your desired speed, trim the motor up until it just starts to break free and increase rpm, then trim it in slightly. It takes a bit of experience but it will become second nature.  Also the motor mounting position makes a difference in how the boat trims and how the boat performs. It may be adventageous to have the dealer raise the motor on the transom one or two holes at a time to see if performance improves.

The motor has increased oil usage for the first 5 hours of operation above about 2000 rpm as part of the automatic break in period, then it will subside to using only the oil needed for the motors lubrication requirements which are computer controlled.

Your dealer may have to change props to get up to the proper operating rpm for full throttle. On a pontoon boat which may be loaded with up to 12 people and gear, it is best to have a propeller that turns in the upper reaches of the rpm range. That should be from about 5600-5850 rpm. Other types of propellers besides the Viper may be more efficient for pontoon boat usage. The Rebel or the 4-blade Cyclone series may be a better choice if they can get the rpm in the 5600-5850 range.

Talk to your dealer and explain your concerns and request some time to familiarize you with the new motor and its operation.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Mate

Re: new 175hp - oil usage and trim setting

thanks

I was hoping to hear from you

thanks very much

lots of info for me to investigate

like the different props and the motor mount thing

I think the mounting is in slot 1

I read another posting about a guy asking about his mounting and seeing the cavitation plate

what's that and is that important

how do you know if the mounting is "right"?

anyway, thanks again

have a great summer