Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Re: 06 evinrude E-Tec 225 overheating?

Had the same problem where the engine would overheat and the alarm would sound but the engine didn’t slow down to slow mode. The temp would get to 180 degrees, just shy of the 190 degrees that would cause the engine to go into slow mode. The CAUSE was found to be pin holes in the copper tube going from the water pump to the power head. FIXED!
Mate

Had the same problem on my 2007 etec 250. Engine overheat with a hot alarm but engine did not go into slow mode. Diagnosed where temp reached 180 which was enough to trigger the alarm but not hot enough to reach 190 which would trigger the slow mode. Cause found to be minute pin holes in the copper tube that connects the water pump to the power head. FIXED!
Admiral

Did you or the tech find the pinhole problem by using a water pressure gauge, even a temporary hookup, and comparing the readings to the factory specs?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Mate

Re: 06 evinrude E-Tec 225 overheating 200 ho

hello

I fixed my over heating proble

I designed a bypass from the water output straight to a t at the emm water intake junction.

problem solved!!!

no problems thus far.!!!1

Captain

I have been having the same problem.with a 2011 200HO.

i have to ask you few quetsionsif thats ok. Your engine temp at idle was good? at what RPM or speed did the temp rise to 180+? 

My engine Idles fine, but overheated and and did not shut engine to safe mode. (similar to yours) I replaced water pump, same results. last month i went about 30 miles with 4 guys and gear run fine, and then the overheat issue returned. this weekend went about five miles with only wife and limited load and the overheat light came back on. we ran @185-187 , then temperature returned to normal  

Highlighted
Mate

@etec2thetank wrote:

hello

I fixed my over heating proble

I designed a bypass from the water output straight to a t at the emm water intake junction.

problem solved!!!

no problems thus far.!!!1

etect2thetank: How did you go about the bypass w/ tee direct to the EMM? Can you provide photos? I'm having the same problem- EMM hot alarm without slow mode. 2006 225 Etec had 300 hr service w/ new water pump, poppet spring & large intake scoops installed late last season. Still getting hot alarm. Its getting REAL old.