Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

200HP Looper engine does not go above 3000rpm

Hello Gents!

I have a 1996 E200TXEDR outboard that starts and idles beautifully.

Engine runs in idle and under load flawlessly up to 3000 rpm apprx.  I noticed yesterday that even with the full throttle applied, the power is not there.  No jerks or jolts, no uneven engine run or vibrations...  it just wont go above 3000 approx rpms.

I am thinking throttle cable/linkage adjustment, or maybe some slight electrical issue...  I was bummed that after almost one year on working some stuff on the boat, I launched it, ran beautifully on the no-wake area, increased power very smoothly, but never got to my typical cruising speed.

Appreciate any feedback from anyone with a similar experience.

Thanks, as always!

Jorge Hedges

Puerto Rico

Admiral

Re: 200HP Looper engine does not go above 3000rpm

You or a tech have to determine first if the reason for a lack of power is fuel, ignition, or mechanically related or a combination of those.

I could be as simple as misadjusted or stiff shift linkage or gummed up carbs, or a pack or stator. Do not overlook throttle linkage not opening completely

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for your input.

I emptied completely the fuel tank, and installed a new racor assembly.  Filled up with new gas, so this is definitely out.

Will remove the airbox and check if all butterflies open fully (90º) with full throttle position.

If it does, will move to electrics then.  Will start with spark check on all cylinders.

Thanks again!

Admiral

Obtain a factory service manual from www,outboardbooks.com

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.