Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

2012 Etec 200 HO WONT START.

I have an issue. I have a 2012 200 HO.
All new batteries at 13.4V and wires ran from the batteries. New wire from starter solenoid to starter i thought was the same size but may be smaller??. When i jump straight from the battery to the starter it starts. But when i try with the key, the fuel turns on and i can hear the starter solenoid click, but nothing happens. Just click click click. I removed the top wire from the solenoid and touched it to the bottom of solenoid and the starter spins but doesn’t go up. Could this be the solenoid not fully engaging? Could it be the capacitor? I’m stuck 😰
Thanks!

Also when i turn the key and the guages pop up, it’s only reading 12.4v when i know the batteries are 13.4.
Batteries are 675 CCA ONE IS 675 and one is 580.
Hope someone has somethinf for me thanks.
Highlighted
Admiral

Re: 2012 Etec 200 HO WONT START.

[ Edited ]

A charged up battery should read about 12.6 volts.  Your one battery size is the absolute minimum for your engine and the other is too small.

From your description it sounds like the solenoid may be faulty, but it should be tested per the factory service manual or by a trained tech. A voltage drop test would be very enlightening.

The minimum battery specs for your motor do not take in account the electrical requirements of your boat's systems.

From the owners manual:

Battery, Minimum 675 CCA (845 MCA) 12 volt or
800 CCA (1000 MCA) 12 volt below 32°F (0°C)

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: 2012 Etec 200 HO WONT START.

As a tech I would say you had a bad battery cable connection or bad contacts in your battery switch causing a voltage loss. This probably caused high amperage which damaged your starter solenoid contact points.