Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

Advice for first time fishing in the ocean? (Miami FL)

I'm planning a trip to Miami for business this February and hope to do some fishing from shore/wading while I'm there. Honestly though saltwater creatures make me a little nervous. I'm an avid (Wisconsin) fisherman but clueless when it comes to saltwater. Is it feasible for me with no real knowledge of ocean life to safely throw out a line and not get myself stung/bitten/eaten or otherwise? Is it common to catch a dangerous non-fish? I'm not looking to go on a big deep sea fishing adventure, just killing some time with my travel fishing rod. Any advice?

Edit: For the record, I don't plan on cooking fish in my hotel room so it's all catch and release

Admiral

Re: Advice for first time fishing in the ocean? (Miami FL)

What may be better is to take one of the 1/2 day or full day "head boats" out for some bottom fishing. The crew furnishes the rod, bait, and assistance. Another suggestion is to find a fishing pier. Normally you pay a fee to fish on it and they also sell bait and rent gear.  That way you get introduced to saltwater fishing without the  hazards or "noobie" problems.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.