Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Skipper

Gear lube Synthetic?

Does anyone see any advantage of using synthetic gear lube?

I have twin 250 E-Tecs and run them hard for 60 mi offshore on most of my trips.

Admiral

Re: Gear lube Synthetic?

[ Edited ]

The HPF Pro Evinrude gear oil is a semi-snythetic lubricant that is made for 300 hour change intervals. No other brand of gear oil makes that claim.

A few years ago, the former Bass and Walleye Boats Magazine tested about a dozen different gear oils from both outboard manufacturers and from oil companies. They used a number of tests, not just one, and published results on the oils with and without water in them to duplicate what happens inside a gearcase.

Some brands would place very well in one type of test and dead last in another test. The Evinrude lubes were consistantly good in every test  and were the recommended oil..

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Gear lube Synthetic?

[ Edited ]

I run the Evinrude HPF pro gear oil in my Twin 135HO's. We do alot of slow trolling so I change it twice a year. Probably overkill but thats what I do. I do know some people running the Amsoil Synthetic gear oil with good success which is 100% synthetic I think. Hard to beat the HPF pro in my opinion.