Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Captain

How many of you are using your main Etec for trolling?

Would love to hear your experiences and the size of Etec you are using for trolling... Thanks.

Admiral

Re: How many of you are using your main Etec for trolling?

Coastal anglers often troll their E-TEC most of the day when they are pulling live baits for king mackerel and other species.

Having your motor in top condition is essential. Be sure that sparkplugs are in good shape and indexed correctly and that the thermostats and any pressure relief valves are operational and allowing the cylinder head(s) to warm up to at least 140°.

Another item is the propeller. Be sure it allows the motor to run close to the redline rpm to attain the slowest trolling speed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Since I read your post, I talked with the owner of a G2 300 on a 23 ft center console.
He trolls in gear at 425 rpm and burns .3 gph.
He never uses his 8 hour kicker engine anymore because it's louder and burns more fuel than his 300.
Captain

Thanks for the feedback.  Everything I have heard suggests the Etecs troll efficiently and economically.  While I can appreciate the added insurance of having a kicker, I am really not wanting to add the extra expense and weight, and lose the space a kicker would take up along with extra maintenance.  So many people I know never use their kickers.  

Skipper

I just replaced an older Mercury 4 stroke on my Boston Whaler 170 with a 90 E-tec. I troll extensively for speckled trout and do so at the lowest rpm possible. So far, I have been pretty unhappy with the motor because of the vibration produced by the 3 cylinders compared to 4 in my older Mercury. I honestly feel like the vibration translates down to my baits and introduces an unnatural action. Well, that's my theory...I've caught fewer trout since getting the new motor and I haven't changed the way I fish. So, I'm gonna blame it on the motor vibration. It's significant. Almost like putting a quarter in one of those vibrating beds at a cheap hotel. If I had to do it over I would have bought the 90 H.O. Just thought I'd add something to the discussion with my experience.
Captain

Copy. I keep hearing that they tend to settle down once they get some hours on them. How many hours are on your 90 now?
Skipper

I've put 10 hours on it...no improvement. I'm looking for alternative solutions now like transom pads or vibration dampening bushings. I'll keep you guys posted.
Admiral

What is the exact model number of your motor?

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

E90DSLAFG
Captain

I have run a couple of 75 how Etecs and now have a 90 hp on a 25' flat bottom fiberglass boat. We can shoot pictures with a telephoto lens at idle from the bow deck.
Oceansouth sells a plastic backer board which mounts between the hull and engine which may help.
Also, it is possible that your spark plugs got out fouled from trolling during the double oiling hours. You have 10 hours on the engine, the double oiling is for 2 hours of engine time above 2000 rpm.