Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

How many of you are using your main Etec for trolling?

Would love to hear your experiences and the size of Etec you are using for trolling... Thanks.

Admiral

Re: How many of you are using your main Etec for trolling?

Coastal anglers often troll their E-TEC most of the day when they are pulling live baits for king mackerel and other species.

Having your motor in top condition is essential. Be sure that sparkplugs are in good shape and indexed correctly and that the thermostats and any pressure relief valves are operational and allowing the cylinder head(s) to warm up to at least 140°.

Another item is the propeller. Be sure it allows the motor to run close to the redline rpm to attain the slowest trolling speed.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Since I read your post, I talked with the owner of a G2 300 on a 23 ft center console.
He trolls in gear at 425 rpm and burns .3 gph.
He never uses his 8 hour kicker engine anymore because it's louder and burns more fuel than his 300.
Skipper

Thanks for the feedback.  Everything I have heard suggests the Etecs troll efficiently and economically.  While I can appreciate the added insurance of having a kicker, I am really not wanting to add the extra expense and weight, and lose the space a kicker would take up along with extra maintenance.  So many people I know never use their kickers.