Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Admiral

Re: How many of you are using your main Etec for trolling?

Whenever a question arises about noise, vibration, speed, etc. it is impossible for us to see, hear, or feel the boat and motor so we can only offer suggestions. The tech who has his or her hands on your motor and the diagnostc equipment is the one who can experience what is happening and give a first hand report.

It may be to your advantage to have the dealer technician go for a ride with you and have the diagnostic laptop along to use the "flight recorder" function and to give you a printout of the engine report while the motor is idling. You can then post them here for inspection.  Your tech can also contact Evinrude dealer support for other ideas or possible checkpoints.

It is possible that the motor is not warming up correctly, that oil check valves are stuck or open, possible carbon buildup on plugs as was mentioned, overpropped motor, etc.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Skipper

Thanks for the help guys.  I have consulted with my dealer.  There is nothing wrong with the motor...the vibration is normal.  He has ordered vibration dampening bushings for the lower motor mounts.  He says that this was recommended to him after consulting with the BRP staff.  I am happy that everyone is happy with their 90 E-tec.  I however, am a bit disappointed with it.  Bottom line for me is that I would not recommend this motor for a Boston Whaler 170...particularly if you intend to slow troll with it.  For that purpose, other motors with 4 cylinders would be more suitable.  Live and learn.

Captain

I am using my 2014 Etec 150 for trolling all the time. Below 0,2 gph and no vibration, no fumes, and most of the time, no fishSmiley Happy. Love this motor. 5 seasons with no issues whatsoever. Trying to convince the wife that we need a G2, but no. Working on it.

Captain

Running a 30hp Etec E30dtel11 tiller electric on a Lund SSV16'   Not been used alot but well takin care of and at about 50 hrs

After 6 years I had the 300 hr done. Just before that time I noticed a small miss at idle while trolling which is normally glassy smooth. Starting went from instant to almost instant too which was corrected after the 300 hr which included a plug change. Running XT100 oil on the XT 100 setting was running XT 100 oil on the TCW3 setting before the 300 hr. I was always of the impression that up to 30hp can be used as a good slow trolling motor above that you really need an electric or a kicker.   Love the motor really no problems.        Now that I'm retired hope to use it more!

Highlighted
Captain

My personal boat is set up a bit underpropped as most of the time I cruise at 5 mph between 1200 and 1800 rpm, depending on river current. I run 6 hours a day at this speed but try to run at 5400 for 10 minutes at the end of the day. I had 1500 trouble free hours on my 75 Etecs and now have 500 hours on my pontoon series 90.
Vibration dampening mounts are a good idea on a Whaler with their solid transoms. I suggest trying either a lower pitch prop or one with less cupping to bring your trolling rpm up a bit.