Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Mate

I suck at saltwater fishing!

For the past couple months I've been fishing around Connecticut hunting for striped bass, seabass or blues. At this point I would just like to catch something since I have been skunked 6x in a row now. I finally figured out my hooks were too big so I grabbed a couple rigs that had smaller hooks and I used the right bait last night but even though everything was right, I **bleep**ed up. I couldn't set the hook. How do I get better?

Admiral

Re: I suck at saltwater fishing!

I'm a tech, not a pro fisherman but I would suggest that you join a local fishing club and talk with the bait shops for advice on what rigs and lures to use. Chances are the salesperson at a big-box store may not be the most knowledgable on fishing, but the small privately owned bait shops usually share the info that you need.

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Captain

Re: I suck at saltwater fishing!

[ Edited ]

I know no one likes dropping cash, but maybe consider going out with a guide for even just a couple hours. What you learn will set you up and get you over that learning curve.

Another thing I have done in the past when in an area I don’t know is going in to the local tackle shop and asking if any of the tackle guys want to go out fishing. I have always had a ‘taker’.  Most of those guys look for excuses to hit the water.