Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Captain

Kinda funny...

[ Edited ]

Fisheries has put a bunch of new regs into place to protect the fishery.  All good I guess.  However, due to the new regs, tons of people have sold their boats up this way.  (Desolation Sound, BC).  Anyway, the fishing has never been better.  Yesterday I went out at about 8 am and had a Chinook in the boat, a Rockfish in the boat, and lost another Chinook by 8:30 am.  Tonight I went out at about 6:30 pm and had a Chinook in the boat by 7:15 pm.  I have never had so many fillets in the freezer.  

And as a huge added benefit, the Evinrude 135 HO is running great!  Not sure it even uses gas when trolling... haha... BOOM!

Captain

Re: Kinda funny...

Must be pretty stiff regs for people to sell their rigs.

Captain

Some of the new regs were zero retention of Chinook until July 15, then only one Chinook per person per day.  The Chinook has to be between 62 cm - 80 cm.  That alone really turned off the 'meat fishermen.'

Zero retention of 'yellow eye' red snapper.

Only hatchery Coho are allowed to be retained...

Captain

[ Edited ]

Aug 5 Chinooks.jpg

Here's two Chinook from today.  On the water about two hours.  Lost one, released one and two in the boat.  (Only allowed one Chinook per licence).  As of August 1, there is no upper size limit, thank goodness.  Both fish about 20 lbs.  Fishing has never been better...  Boom.

Captain

Nice fish Al.  What type of setup do you use ?  

Captain

Chinooks Aug 11.jpg

Captain

[ Edited ]

Hi Bill.

Two more from this morning posted above.  Fishing has been crazy.  Smiley Happy

I suspect it is similar to how you guys fish down your way... I have one Scotty downrigger on one side and a Scotty rod holder on the boom of the pot puller on the other side.  Generally I just use one rod, as it's too crazy when trying to deal with two rods, the currents, and the downrigger... for me anyways.

I have basically been about 135' - 180' down on the downrigger, with a 10 lb weight.   I use an 8 1/2' fairly stiff SeaKing rod and an Amundson single action reel.  300 yards of mono.  I seem to do well with an 'army truck' flasher and lately a #4 white and green (Irish Creme) spoon has been working well.  White hoochies and blue plugs have apparently also been working.  I keep thinking of trying something else but never seems to be a need to experiment, right now.

Highlighted
Captain

Smiling in agreement about not changing what works....Nice catch.