Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Skipper

Nikasil plating

Can anyone tell me if evinrude uses Nikasil plating on their cylinder walls. Going to hone them and need to get the correct hone. I have a stock 2014 300
Highlighted
Skipper

Re: Nikasil plating

[ Edited ]

G1 motors, iron liner in aluminum block bore.

G2 motors, Plasma hot spray of aluminum block bore with special procedure to prep the alum bore walls.  Coating metal used and exact procedure not released by BRP.

Check with the factory for honing procedure. 

Nikasil is a cold chemicals solution electroplating procedure.

Highlighted
Admiral

[ Edited ]

@brokenbones060 wrote:
Can anyone tell me if evinrude uses Nikasil plating on their cylinder walls. Going to hone them and need to get the correct hone. I have a stock 2014 300

No, cast iron sleeves

"There is never just one thing wrong with a boat";
                    -- Travis McGee, main character in a book series by John D. McDonald 

The factory recommends that a properly trained technician service your Johnson or Evinrude outboard motor. Should you elect to perform repairs yourself, use caution, common sense, and observe safety procedures in the vicinity of flammable liquids, around moving parts, near high-temperature components, and working with electrical or ignition systems.

The information offered here is only general in nature and should not be construed as complete factory approved procedures, techniques, or specifications. Always use the proper service manual for your motor, up-to-date service literature, the correct tools, and have an understanding of how to proceed with troubleshooting and repair methods. If you are unsure or uncomfortable with a procedure, a situation, or a technique, enlist the services of a factory trained technician.

Highlighted
Skipper

Thanks