Evinrude E-NATION, for those dedicated to water, power, fishing and fun
Highlighted
Mate

Tips for catching live bait from a kayak.

So I am fishing deep water out here in guam from a kayak. I would say vertical jigging is the #1 technique used by guys in yaks and all the charters are just trolling artificials.

I want to start using live bait but have had no luck catching any. I have caught a few flying fish but that involves letting some small squid strips hang below a bobber which just ends up getting in the way if I am jigging and is very unreliable.

I have tried dropping sabakis but even they do not produce unless its a trigger fish. Here the water drops off incredibly fast. From shore to reef can average 5-10 feet then past the reel you can be in a 1000ft of water or more less than a mile off shore.

Any Ideas or tips

Highlighted
Captain

Re: Tips for catching live bait from a kayak.

Hey there, I live in S.Florida and here the best time to catch bait is early in the morning (3 to 5 AM). My son kayak fishes in a hobe alot and also vertical jigs but often live baits at the same time. He uses small 1/8 OZ jigs in shallow water (15 ft) early in the morning to catch gogle eye, skip jacks, blue runners etc.

Highlighted
Mate

[ Edited ]

Looks like on the north eastern side of asan beach park there are some rocks and structure. I would spend an hour there with some squid catching bait before you hop in the kayak. I can't cast a net yet and always catch my bait. Usually look for some rocks and just hammer bait quick. 9Apps VidMate apk 9Apps apk

Highlighted
Mate

[ Edited ]

For those of you that fish with live baits, specifically bigger live baits like shad and bluegill, and even mullet, how do you guys keep it in your yak? 

It's almost time for flathead season and I'm wanting to catch one this year! And I know the best way to catch them is lovely bluegill. I'm also wanting to maybe try some striper fishing late in the fall as well, so shad are going to be important in that kind of fishing. 9Apps VidMate VLC

Highlighted
Captain

my son made some tubes out of 3-4 inch pvc, drilled 1/2 inch holes and end caps he tows behind his kayak. he keep several large baits in them (gogle eye, skip jack, blue runners etc.

Highlighted
Captain

37.JPG